Bariatric surgery is an option to consider if your weight is interfering with your quality of life or causing you medical harm, and you are ready to permanently change your diet, approach to physical activity, and lifestyle.
Kaiser Permanente Hawaii performs 3 types of bariatric surgery
Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
Roux-en-Y (pronounced "roo-en-why") surgery disconnects part of the stomach to create a new, smaller stomach.
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG)
The surgery is usually done through several small incisions in the belly. The doctor removes more than half of the stomach, leaving a thin sleeve about the size of a banana.
Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding
In this surgery, the doctor wraps a band around the upper part of the stomach to create a small pouch.
- $500 minimum for all plans including Kaiser Permanente QUEST and Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage
- Up to $5,000 for co-payments and inpatient surgery costs. This is your portion or out-of-pocket expenses
Learn more about surgery costs.
- Most pre-requisites and follow-ups related to surgery are provided in Honolulu, Wailuku, Hilo, and Kona. Requirements and Prerequisites
- Surgery and appointments with your bariatric surgeon take place at Moanalua Medical Center, which might require air travel
Only those with a BMI of 40 or higher or a BMI of 35 or higher with active weight-related medical conditions (such as diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, etc).
Learn more about qualifying for weight loss surgery.
Requirements and prerequisites
Qualifying for bariatric surgery
- BMI over 40, or a BMI of 35 and additional risks
- Attend a Weight Management Information Session
- 1-2 sets of lab tests*
- 1-3 bariatric medical consultations*
- 4 dietary classes*
- 3 behavioral classes: body image, assertive communication, and time/stress management*
- 3 exercise classes
- 2 support group/WebStiles sessions (calendar)
- 1 pre-surgery class, where you’ll learn what to expect at the hospital*
- 1 visit with a bariatric surgeon at Moanalua Medical Center*
*May require copayment.
Learn more about surgery costs.
Surgery and recovery
Bariatric surgery takes place at Moanalua Medical Center, where you’ll be required to stay for 1-2 days after surgery. For your medical and emotional health, you’ll also need to take 4-6 weeks to recover before returning to work and your regular activities.
9 weeks and beyond
In the year after the surgery, there are additional tests and about 10 additional appointments including:
- Lab tests every 6 months for life
- 3 or more visits with your bariatric physician and bariatric surgeon
- Monthly follow-up appointments with your bariatric team
After achieving extensive weight loss, you could be left with loose, excess skin that makes your achievement less obvious. Cosmetic plastic surgeons at The Aesthetic Center by Kaiser Permanente offer a variety of post-bariatric surgery procedures that may be recommended to help further improve your body's shape and appearance after losing a significant amount of weight. These procedures can help your clothes to fit better and allow you to participate more comfortably in your favorite activities. Visit us at kp.org/aesthetic/hi to learn more. When you are ready, select which cosmetic plastic surgeon you would like to see and schedule an on-line cosmetic plastic surgery consultation on kp.org. These services are provided on a fee-for-service basis, separate from and not covered under your health plan benefits.